Saturday 7 February 2015

A Great British Day

Pin It Now!
This post has been waiting in the queue of my 'to do' blog posts since I have been back in London..

Yes, you know it.. its another food report.

Ok, so we all know I am a self confessed foodie, and it tends to be healthy, natural, organic produce that I rant and rave about.

However...

I have in the most recent months come to know balance.

To many of you this may be a standard meal.. to me, a huge challenge.

Deep.. Fried... Fish & Chips.

In the summer months I tried to tackle my un-healthy orthorexic fears and challenged myself to a Fish & Chips in a restaurant called The Church in Chester.. it is fair to say this ended in a huge meltdown. Embarrassing to say the least, I know to most people you must be thinking, "How on earth can food cause someone to have anxiety and a mental breakdown?!" But until you have walked a day in someones shoes who hasn't let anything fried (and in batter), pass there lips in near enough a year.. if not more, something so small suddenly becomes so big. Why eat it then? You may ask... well the fact a piece of food would cause me to have a panic attack.. is the exact reason why I decided to challenge myself.

I was once a girl who would get hangry if someone had a bigger portion then her, who stated that Chinese was her favourite food, anything fried just meant extra delicious, carbs was her middle name, and veggie patties & cheese on toast was a standard snack.

Of course, I love being healthy, it makes me feel re-juvinated, energetic and happy. I barely crave anything considered un-healthy. I could easily become a raw-vegan and would get an A* in the raw till four diet. However, the matter of fact is that these fears towards food are not normal, so until I do not fear food my veganism fantasy of becoming an at one with nature gypsy gal, who attracts animals to the windows when she sings and has mice and birds help her create her latest fashion collections, is on hold.

In Australia I tackled fish from a chippy, but only ever opted for grilled fish.

In London I decided to go for "ding, ding, ding", round 2.

May I present to you..

Poppies Fish & Chip shop, just off Brick Lane and opposite Spitalfields market.


This place is always jam packed whenever I walked past.

So I thought... "If I am going to do this, I might as well make sure it is from the best fish and chip shop in the area".

Pop has recreated East End London in 1945 and 1955. You can dine in or dine out with a newspaper styled chip shop box to take away.

The staff are stylishly dressed in quirky hats and aprons, and the interior is decorated to match, with juke boxes and an old school diner feel, a true taste of the mid 1900's.

Unfortunately, I don't have a pic of this.. so you will have to visit to experience!


I visited Poppies with my mum, as you can see one fish is not fried. This was me. Guilty. But we didn't want to purchase 2 fried for me to not like and then go hungry. So I safely ordered a grilled fish, mum ordered fried. We decided that if I liked mums we would halve... and guess what.. I loved!


So we ended up halving our fish and sharing, we also got mushy peas and of course tartar sauce and ketchup to make it a truly British affair.. along with a squeeze of lemon and cracked pepper to top the fish, and vinegar for the chips.  

Mum also got a beer, while I got a sparkling water (if you don't know i have been T Total for a few years now). However, pretty jealous of the glass mums beer was served in. 

I would completely recommend Poppies if you ever find yourself in the East End of London.

And don't hesitate to go fried!

No comments :

Post a Comment